Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Isaac Redman is Still Awesome

I read an article today from TribLive which discussed Isaac Redman and his chances of making the final 53-man roster this year.  Now, I've already written a piece on Redman WAY back in 2009, and it was exquisite.  Now, I still believe that he could be an amazing short yardage back, and couldn't quite figure out why he didn't make the roster last year especially considering he led the team in touchdowns in the preseason.  The article I read today shed some light on the subject.

Apparently, according to the article, Redman showed up last year to training camp "in less than stellar football shape".  Now, I wasn't sure what that meant so I didn't understand the severity of the situation.  The following photo reveals exactly what "less than stellar football shape" really means:


Oh, OK, I get it now.  In fact, this is what Kirby('s Adventure) Wilson had to say about Redman coming into camp last year, "It was really bad, one of the all-time worst of a guy not being in football shape but he hung in there.  It happens every year, all across the National Football League, guys don't understand there's in shape and there's football in shape.  It's totally different."  I'll have to agree with Wilson because the above photo of Big Snack isn't exactly what I would consider "in shape", so he must be "in football shape", which is to say...round.

Anyway, Redman impressed everyone in training camp last year by sticking it out and performing not only in camp, but also in the few preseason games in which he got to play.  This season he is impressing the shit out of everyone again.  According to a personal interview I conducted with my best friend Heinz Ward (I'm aware of the spelling, I like it better that way.) "He's really stood out this year.  His blocking ability, pass protection you always see him on the tape, coach Tomlin highlights that."  That means that not only can Redman fill in as the short yardage back the Steelers have been missing for YEARS, but also can double as a fullback.  Well, that would be useful except for the fact that Arians doesn't use a fullback.

Speaking of Arians, after my personal interview with Heinz, I spoke with Arians about Redman.

Me:  "Bruce, my man, what do you think about Redman?
BA:  "He's got enough strength and size to play fullback and also be a short-yardage, goal-line runner."
Me:  "But you rarely utilize fullbacks, opting for singleback/spread formations."
BA:  "Only because Carey Davis was a pussy.  Redman could prove to be a decent fullback."    
Me:  "OK, guy, any final thoughts on Redman?"
BA:  "Yes, thank you for asking good buddy. By the way, your blog rockz my nutz.  I pronounced it with z's to emphasize the intensity of my nutz getting rocked(z).  You sir, are amazing."
Me:  "Take it easy Bruce.  Curb the man love here."
BA:  "It's difficult, but I'll try.  Back to Redman...He's got great hands, so the sky's the limit for the kid.  When his opportunity comes, what do you do with it?  No one ever thought Barry Foster would be Barry Foster until he got the ball."
Me:  "Good point.  Are you saying Redman is the next Barry Foster?"
BA:  "Yeah, dumbass."
Me:  "And you find it OK that his name is not politically correct?  You know, being 18.6% Cherokee and 91% Caucasian, I find his last name very offensive.  Kind of like your offensive line."
BA:  "Low blow.  I still love your blog."

Some of that interview was fabricated for entertainment purposes, but seriously, my blog really does rock his nutz.

I like "Redzone" Redman.  (I didn't pick that nickname...I think it blows.)  I liked him last year, and think even more of his abilities this season.  He's not Jerome Bettis, but I'm sure he's not Willie Parker either.  So what are the chances of him making the final roster at the end of the preseason?  Better than average, I would say.  Basically he's competing with Jonathan Dwyer for a roster spot.  Now, I do like Dwyer, but he has been under-performing in camp thus far.  I suppose that Frank the Tank is still in the mix, but Summers has been a pretty big disappointment so far in his career.  (Especially when you have a nickname like that.)  Plus, he's not as good of a blocker as Redman anyway.

I see the final roster kind of like this:

Starting HB:  Mendenhall
Second HB:  Moore
Third HB:     Dwyer
HB/FB:        Redman

But I guess I'll need to see some game action before finalizing this.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment